Friday, January 09, 2009

Etude 004: SCIENCE! lab edition


So this was made out of another set of field recordings from the lovely people of Un/FoundSound. The theme for this collection was SCIENCE! lab, so all of the sounds on here are from recordings of matches being lit, plastic boxes being folded, instrument carts being rolled, test tubes being spun, and so on. The only non-field-recording instrument I used was the pitched bass line, which was made with Ableton Live's "Clicky" preset on their Simpler instrument.


I'm feeling that the click-loop I made with the sound of match-strikes is a bit too loud and busy, and maybe I have too many disparate elements going on at the same time. If I was going to make a "second draft" of the piece, I would probably only introduce a few items and work them out for much longer. I'm always worried that my own taste for unchanging repetition isn't widely shared, so I tend to second-guess myself and make the pacing of the track far too compressed. I think I need to give at least 64 beats to any new texture before moving on...


Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the bassline, mind you.


Don't forget to listen to this with decent speakers! You'll miss 90% of the bass if you use your laptop speakers.

No comments: